More than 5 million teeth are knocked out every year, many due to sports injuries. Saving the tooth and reattachment is possible, but you are going to need to act fast. It’s extremely important to follow these instructions and see your dentist within 2 hours.
1. Pick up the tooth by the crown.
Do not touch the roots to minimize any further injury. Make sure to only touch the part of the tooth you chew food with.
2. If the tooth is dirty, carefully rinse it with water or milk only.
Don’t use any soap or toothpaste. Don’t dry the tooth or wrap it in Kleenex.
3. Immediately put the tooth back into its socket
The sooner this happens, the greater chance your tooth has to survive. Carefully place the tooth over the hole and gently close your mouth. You can hold the tooth in place with your fingers or tongue.
4. Keep the tooth moist if you can’t keep it in it’s socket
The tooth can’t be left out to dry. Do not use water to store your tooth because it will damage the roots. You can place the tooth in milk, or in your mouth next to the cheek.
5. Make sure that you see a dentist within one hour for proper reattachment and evaluation
We have an emergency 24 hour line that you can call.