Keep You and Your Family Safe this Summer
What are UVA & UVB Rays? What are UVA & UVB Rays?
Why is sunscreen important? There are two types of UV (ultraviolet) rays that are harmful to humans. UVA and UVB rays from the sun and indoor tanning booths are both dangerous to us because they can lead to skin cancer, wrinkles, leathery skin, eye problems, a weakened immune system, and age spots.
Protect Your Family From UV Rays
- Wear clothes that protect your skin
- Wear sunscreen. Make sure it’s at least 15 SPF and that you reapply it every few hours
- Hats with a brim help to protect your face and neck from the sun.
- Wear sunglasses.
- Avoid the sun from 10am-4pm. That’s when the UV rays are strongest.
- Take shade breaks.
- Use chapstick to protect your lips.
- Make sure your entire family is staying hydrated and drinking plenty of water.
- Direct sun exposure is not recommended for infants under 6 months. If this is unavoidable, keep baby hydrated and in the shade.
Get the Right Sunscreen
Most sunscreens are made to protect again UVB rays, but more and more research is showing that UVA rays are also very dangerous for us. Besides the wrinkles and premature aging that we already know UVA rays cause, scientists are now saying that these rays penetrate our skin deeper than the UVB rays- and can also contribute to skin cancer.
- Use at least SPF 15. The SPF is what protects you from UVB rays, and tells you how long the sunscreen will keep you from turning pink. For example, using an SPF 15 sun block will take you 15 times longer to develop a sunburn.
- Use a sunscreen with broad spectrum protection. To know if your sunscreen protects against both UV rays, check the ingredients list for titanium dioxide and zinc oxide.
- Pick a sunscreen you and your family are actually going to use.
Best Sunscreen for Babies
This is the perfect sunscreen for babies and people with sensitive skin. Raw Element’s impressive and all- natural and organic ingredients list made this sunscreen a must to try this Summer. Their formula is extremely nourishing and goes on thick, but blends in fairly easily. Although your baby may have a slight white tint from the sunscreen- Raw Elements is the best out there for complete protection against both UVA and UVB rays.
Best Sunscreen for Active Kids
For your little swimmers and kids who love being outside, this mineral sunscreen is natural and safe for your family. Alba’s Very Emollient- Kids formula stays on great, and holds up well against sweating and swimming. With a price you can’t beat, this sunscreen will protect your kids all this Summer from burning.
Best Sunscreen for Easy Burners/ Sensitive Skin
Here’s a sunscreen that offers serious protection against both UVA and UVB rays. For people who have fair skin and burn easily, looking for a sun screen that offers broad spectrum coverage is essential. With zinc oxide as an active ingredient, you can trust this product to keep your kids safe from UVA rays and burning while they enjoy the sunshine. TruKid Sunny Days sunscreen has a #1 rating from the EWG and a thick, moisturizing consistency that’s perfect for optimal coverage.
Best Natural, Budget- Friendly Sunscreen
This sunscreen is all natural, goes on easily, and protects against both UVA and UVB rays. For less than $10, this product doesn’t kill your wallet and makes the perfect product to try when experimenting with all-natural sunscreens. The Honest Company’s Honest Sunscreen Stick makes applying easy for restless kids, and is formulated not to leave a white residue. This sunscreen does contain oil, so it’s super moisturizing for those with dry skin- but can be a little too much for oily skin types.
Best Sunscreen for Pregnant Women
Using sunscreen while pregnant is extremely important. The extra surge of hormones during pregnancy can cause your skin to be more sensitive to the sun, and you may be more prone to developing dark patches after long exposures to the sun. Checking out the ingredients list is the first line of action when choosing your perfect sunscreen. Oxybenzone is a common ingredient found in sunscreens, and is something to avoidwhile pregnant. This causes other ingredients to be absorbed into the skin, which could pass through the placenta. Instead, look for a sunscreen with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These ingredients protect against the harmful UVA and UVB rays, and they block the rays by sitting on top of the skin- rather than being absorbed.
With Nine Naturals: Natural Sunscreen, you won’t worry about getting burned or using dangerous ingredients. Their extra rich formula is super moisturizing for your skin, and blends in smoothly. We absolutely love that their ingredients are very safe for expecting moms, and that they received a #1 rating from the EWG.